Cheat Code: Egg-less Avocado Chocolate Chip Cookies
Posted by Meg
I realize this is now our third chocolate chip cookie recipe on the blog, but well, we really like chocolate chip cookies. While the chocolate chip cookie recipe using cream cheese instead of eggs came about out of necessity, this recipe was developed strictly out of curiosity. I remembered from an old episode of Good Eats that Alton Brown said that avocados are actually kind of similar to eggs in terms of fat content so that got me to wondering if avocado could also replace eggs in cookies. And I was right! The cookies ended up with a slightly different flavor than regular chocolate chip cookies, but nothing that can really be pin-pointed to avocado. Even skeptics will enjoy these cookies. They’re also some of the most cakey chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever had, so if that’s your favorite type of cookie, then these are for you.
Avocado Chocolate Chip Cookies:
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/8 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 avocado, skin and pit removed
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon
- In the large bowl for your mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla and avocado. Blend until no chunks of avocado remain.
- Slowly add in flour mixture to the batter and beat until it forms a well-blended dough. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides occasionally.
- Add in the chocolate chips and mix until well distributed.
- Spoon the dough into balls onto ungreased baking sheets (preferably with parchment paper) about two inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. The cookies may seem a little soft in the middle still, but they’ll set up as they cool.
There’s still probably too much sugar and butter in these cookies to really call them good for you, but avocados are full of good fats so they might be at least slightly better for you than other chocolate chip cookie versions. Plus, with no raw egg in the dough you can eat as much of it as you want without fear of disease.