Quick Recipe: Gingerbread Pancakes
Gingerbread men are a Christmas favorite cookie. What you may not be aware of though, is that gingerbread itself is actually a type of baked good similar to pumpkin bread. I know, right? Ginger-bread. Holy shit! But revelations aside, they taste pretty much the same as gingerbread cookies that we all know and love. If you’re aiming to capture that flavor but don’t want to make a whole tray of cookies, or an entire loaf of bread, there is one alternative: gingerbread pancakes.
- 1 cup flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 completed pancake mix batter, single serving
- 3 tbsp molasses
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- One serving of simple icing
- If preparing icing, mix together and set aside with a dampened paper towel or cloth over the bowl.
- If using premade pancake mix, prepare one serving in a bowl. If working from scratch, combine flour, milk, baking powder/soda, salt, and egg into a bowl and whisk until evenly blended.
- Add molasses, sugar, ginger, and cinnamon to pancake batter and whisk again to mix thoroughly.
- Place a griddle on stovetop and begin warming on medium-low heat.
- When griddle is hot, spray with non-stick cooking spray. Pour batter into 5”-6” circles.
- Let batter cook untouched for approx 1 minute, or until numerous bubbles form and the sides of the pancakes have set and congealed.
- Flip pancakes over with a spatula in one motion.
- After one more minute, press pancakes down lightly. If batter does not run, flip once again.
- Cook pancakes on this side for 30 more seconds, then remove and place on plate.
- Repeat cooking process for remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes with fresh icing and festive sprinkles.
Serves 2-3 people.